Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Bake
I have been enjoying my dutch oven for meals in the past months because it means less clean up and quicker prep time. I received this cooking pot for our wedding and have made soups in it for a few years. But I wanted to start cooking actual large dinners for meal prep.
I have the Lodge 6 Quart Dutch Oven and it’s large enough to make 8 portions for meal prep which really lasts me and my husband a long time. Once the boys are older and eating the same meals as us this will come in handy for making large portions. They already have big appetites, so I can only imagine how our meal prep will grow!
I love cheese and broccoli anything, but I also want to make it a little bit healthier. I found a lot of recipes, but not many had the amount of protein that I wanted. I did 2 ½ pounds of chicken and this made a delicious and hearty meal.
- 2 ½ pounds of chicken
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 ½ cups of organic chicken broth (divided)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup of rice
- 16 oz frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- In an oven-safe extra-large frying pan or cast iron skillet place the olive oil and chicken to cook on medium-high. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brown chicken on all sides approx 10 minutes.
- Add in 1 cup chicken broth, heavy cream, and rice to the skillet and cook for 15 minutes until rice cooks through.
- Add in the other 1 ½ cups of chicken broth, frozen broccoli, and cheese. Cook for another 10 minutes until broccoli is cooked through.
- Turn on the oven to broil.
- Top the dinner with gluten-free bread crumbs and place under the broiler. Breadcrumbs will brown and become crispy.