Creamy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Bake
I have been enjoying my dutch oven for meals in the past months because it means less clean up and quicker prep time. This cooking pot was given to us for our wedding and I have made soups in it for a few years. But, I wanted to start cooking actual large dinners for meal prep.
I have the Lodge 6 Quart Dutch Oven and it’s large enough to make 8 portions for meal prep which really lasts me and my husband a long time. Once the boys are older and eating the same meals as us this will come in handy for making large portions. They already have big appetites, so I can only imagine how our meal prep will grow!
I love cheese and broccoli anything, but I also want to make it a little bit healthier. There are a lot of recipes out there, but not many had the amount of protein that I wanted. This is a protein heavy meal with 2 ½ pounds of chicken and this made a delicious and hearty dinner.
- 2 ½ pounds of chicken
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 ½ cups of organic chicken broth (divided)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup of rice
- 16 oz frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- In an oven-safe extra-large frying pan or cast iron skillet place the olive oil and chicken to cook on medium-high. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brown chicken on all sides approx 10 minutes.
- Add in 1 cup chicken broth, heavy cream, and rice to the skillet and cook for 15 minutes until rice cooks through.
- Add in the other 1 ½ cups of chicken broth, frozen broccoli, and cheese. Cook for another 10 minutes until broccoli is cooked through.
- Turn on the oven to broil.
- Top the dinner with gluten-free bread crumbs and place under the broiler. Breadcrumbs will brown and become crispy.