Farro and Chicken Bake
This recipe was a hit! I honestly loved it and so did Matt! And the best part was that it was very easy. This recipe used something that was new to me. And ancient grain called farro. It was so delicious, I ended up making it twice!
YESSS and it’s easy!!
- 2 cups farro
- 1/2 cup peppers (chopped)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup raw cheese
- 1 lb carrots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs with skin on (bone in take longer to bake)
- Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a rice cooker follow instructions on the back of farro package and prepare with enough water and set to cook.
- While farro is cooking, season chicken with italian seasoning and place chicken thighs in a big pyrex baking dish and spread out each piece. Place in the over to bake for 45 minutes.
- Cut up all the carrots lengthwise and toss in a bowl with olive oil. Place in one flat layer on a cookie sheet. When there is 25 minutes left on chicken time, slide in carrots to bake in the oven as well.
- In a sauce pan sautee peppers and onions with a little bit of water until transparent and cooked through.
- Once farro is cooked, remove it from the rice cooker and add into the pan with peppers and onions.
- Check carrots for tenderness periodically. If you can push a fork through them easily, they are done, don’t over cook.
- Once timer for chicken goes off and they reach 165 degrees, remove from oven as well.
- In the same chicken baking dish, spoon in farro and pepper and onion mix around chicken thighs. Top farro lightly with the raw cheese mixture and place back into the oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Then take out and ENJOY!
Share this with your friends and family and feel good because it’s less processed but more flavor. It makes a great meal prep dish and warms up nicely for a few days!